What is project based learning? This review from Buck Institute of Edcuation examines research related to a teaching and learning model popularly referred to as “Project-Based Learning” (PBL). All of the research on Project-Based Learning has taken place in the past ten years and most of it in just the last few years. Since there is not a large body of PBL research, the review is inclusive rather than selective.
The review covers eight topics:
• A definition of Project-Based Learning,
• Underpinnings of PBL research and practice,
• Evaluative research: research on the effectiveness of PBL,
• The role of student characteristics in PBL,
• Implementation research: challenges associated with enacting PBL,
• Intervention research: research on improving the effectiveness of PBL,
• Conclusions, and
• Future directions for PBL research.