New Tech Network, a national non-profit organization, is a leading design partner for comprehensive school change. We work closely with districts and schools to create innovative learning environments. Through a proven school model, a project-based learning platform, and powerful professional development, we coach schools toward lasting change and ongoing improvement.
There are over 200 schools in 26 states and Australia in the New Tech Network.
Reports to: Controller
The position of Staff Accountant I will work closely with the Controller and provide management with financial information by researching and analyzing accounts; preparing financial statements. This role will also be responsible for ensuring accurate recording of transactions processed to the general ledger, monthly standard journal entries, managing the payroll processing, accounts receivable and payable processes. The position requires initiative, good judgment, and a solid understanding of accounting principles.
Accounting & Financial
- Prepares consolidated financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments
- Analyzes information and options by developing spreadsheet reports; verifying information
- Prepares general ledger entries by maintaining records and files; reconciling accounts.
- Prepares payments by accruing expenses; assigning account numbers; requesting disbursements; reconciling accounts
- Develops and implements accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures; recommending changes.
- Answers accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Work with Controller in all month-end close activities
- Coordinate and maintain month end close checklist for completeness and timely completion
- Weekly, close and download Concur batches and prepare and upload journal entries
- Maintain accurate fixed asset accounting, ensuring that capitalization/depreciation policies are followed and expenses are coded to the appropriate asset account
- Bi-weekly, run appropriate ADP reports and GL extract needed to prepare bi-weekly payroll journal entries for Controller review and upload into the GL
- Prepare various monthly journal entries including, recurring prepaid journal entries, A/P accruals for contractors, accruals for un-submitted company card expenses in Concur
- Maintain completeness and accuracy of the School host credit liability, School special expense liability, deferred revenue spreadsheet, and unbilled but earned AR subsidiary listings
- Reconcile monthly corporate credit card account activity to Concur submissions
- Preparation of other account reconciliations as requested.
- Assist Controller and budget managers in review of monthly activity for Budget vs. Actual and provide follow up of significant variances to functional department heads.
- Perform special projects and other accounting duties as assigned
- Oversee the Accounts Receivable process and the duties of the Accounting clerk
- Responsible for timely collection of school accounts receivable.
- Prepare monthly schools open invoice statements and follow up on all accounts past 31 days old for collections status
- Distribute bi-weekly AR updates on past due accounts including status update comments on aged accounts. Collaborate with other members of the NTN team to ensure timely collection.
- Oversee the monthly invoicing process and preparation invoices to Schools for service relating to standard contract, and conference registration fees.
- Ensure the school invoice tracking log (exhibit D, Fee Schedule), for school contracts for future invoicing, is accurately maintained
- Record deposits in Cash Receipts Log, maintain and report on the log and give to Accounting clerk to record in Quickbooks and prepare deposit.
- Oversee the Accounts Payable process and the duties of the Accounting Clerk
- Review all vendor invoices coded by the Accounting clerk to ensure they have been properly audited and approved by the appropriate department manager and the correct levels of approval have been met. Review all vendor bills for correct GL account code and class code
- Coordinate with the AP clerk for prepare a QB check selection for approval by the controller weekly. Check selection report should include all invoices due within 10 days of report for payment approval.
- Log the required numbers of checks for the check run for the Accounting Clerk.
- Verify the check register matches the authorized check selection
- Review monthly vendor statements to verify all invoices are recorded in QB, respond to vendor inquiries and resolve discrepancies as needed
- Oversee the Concur accounting expense approval process
- Close batch activity in Concur and download and review batch activity. Prepare appropriate journal entry upload for the expense batch.
- Annually review the accuracy of vendor payments for 1099 preparation and filing
- Ensure all hours are reported for all employees and approved by the supervisor.
- Review and resolve any ADP timecard discrepancies with employee and/or supervisor
- Complete all necessary biweekly payroll processes to import time and pay information for payroll submission
- Prepare preprocessing reports for review for accuracy and submit to Controller for approval to process. Make corrections and process final biweekly payroll
- ADP information resource for employees and assist and troubleshoot issues encountered in the time management system
- Maintain accuracy of ADP accumulators for all Vacation, sick or time off tracking for employees
- Maintaining accuracy of project codes within Time and Attendance module of ADP WorkforceNow solution and ensure all project code changes are updated
- Maintain secure filing of all payroll reports and data
- Maintain other files, spreadsheets, projects or duties as assigned
- Three to four years of experience in Accounting or Finance in a similar role including financial reporting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills – must be proficient in Quickbooks, Google Docs, Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel. Salesforce a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail, highly accurate along with strong organizational skills.
- Adaptability and the ability to multi-task and prioritize projects independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong work ethic and a willingness to pitch in and show self-initiative.
- Strong interpersonal skills and follow through, with the ability to build long-term relationships and resolve conflict effectively.
- Degree required in Accounting or Finance.
CONTACT WITH OTHERS
Must be able to collaborate effectively with others on a regular basis. Those people include but are not limited to, employees of all levels within the organization, community, district leaders and teachers, and members of other organizations, customers, vendors, and visitors.
This position has access to sensitive and confidential information, and is trusted to maintain this information, files and documents properly. These documents include, but are not limited to, financial information, grant information, client proprietary information and other business related material. Failure to safeguard this information could result in loss of trust and reputation internally and externally.
Low physical effort required to sit, stand at files, bend, stoop, lift, and walk. Maximum unassisted lift = 35lbs. Requires ability to use a keyboard, monitor and calculator. Also requires the ability to communicate verbally, both in person and on the telephone.
Inside average office environment. Average office noise levels. No personal protective equipment required. Ambient temperature between 68 and 76F.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A competitive compensation package.
- A highly collaborative, creative yet autonomous work environment.
- Comprehensive benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision Care Coverage, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, Short and Long Term Disability, Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D), Employee Assistance Program, Supplemental Accident & Critical Illness plans and 401(k) Retirement Plan.
If you are interested in this role, please submit your resume to our HR Director, Christine Lintz, at firstname.lastname@example.org